Saturday, July 19, 2014

One of the reasons for coming to Minnesota was to visit my earlyrelative's home grounds.

One of the reasons for coming to Minnesota was to visit my early relative's home grounds. Particularly Bingham Lake and Mankato. Bingham Lake because my Great Grandfather Charles Albert Liem who immigrated from Germany raised his 8 children with his wife Laura and settled there. Mankato, because my grandfather Earl Liem moved there I believe to attend college. There he met and married my grandmother Margaret and had two children, my father Robert Charles and my Aunt Shirley. So I've been working on my family tree for just a few weeks using Ancestry.com and my Great Uncle Henry's book "The Immigrants" in which he traces the Liem family heritage and several others as well. One of the things I discovered was that my Great Uncle Karl Stanley's house in Bingham Lake. It was fun to hear from his neighbor, Marvin Bretzman, about Great Aunt Myrtle and Karls widow Alma still living in the respective houses when he arrived in 1964. Also finding the Liem plot in the Lakeview Cemetery in Windom was exciting. I had no idea who was buried where, originally supposing there might be a cemetery in Bingham Lake. Today Bingham Lake and Windom, tomorrow Mankato.














5 comments:

Sue Kervin said...

Wonderful information and pictures!

Susan Jacobs said...

Taking a break from work and looking at saved posts :)...love that your looking into the family name etc...very nice..any name on the marker in the cemetery?LOL

David Liem said...

Could you make out the names on the headstones?

Susan Jacobs said...

some you can clearly read and others are too "shaded" to clearly read it.

David Liem said...

It was a LIEM family plot. Great Grandparents Charles & Laura, their sons, Holden (& wife, Lavona), Karl (& wife, Alma) and their daughter Myrtle who never married. Also in the same cemetery but different plot was their daughter Mildred and her husband Val Quevli.