Thursday, September 23, 2010

Charlevoix 'the beautiful' 9/22/10

Although we planned to stay in Traverse City for 4 nights, after 2 the 'wanderlust' hit us hard. We found ourselves heading out on the highway going north, pulled by an unseen hand. Coming into Charlevoix, we were transfixed by Lake Charlevoix, its harbor, the downtown shops, and Lake Michigan all beautiful arranged to compliment each other!! We parked on a back street and immediately unloaded our bikes for a tour of the city. The harbor was first in view from a magnificent platform area complete with music. The moment was magical and I opened my arms in invitation to Dagmar to dance. Only one other man was there and I think he was a little embarrassed, but he stayed and I caught him secretly glancing at us.

Stunning Lake Charlevoix Harbor downtown view

Powering up the Lake Michigan channel

Biking out on the pier for a better view of Lake Michigan we met a man hopping along on crutches in shorts and short sleeves. Dagmar struck up the conversation first by remarking that he must be a native, because he was obviously thick-blooded and not bothered by the cold. He said he was now from California but was born in Charlevoix and was visiting home after a 15 year absence. He remarked on a number of changes that had been made and remembered fondly the times as a boy when he swam and dove from the pier. As we were leaving he pointed to the Southern shoreline and said we should go over and see the rock houses there.
Channel entrance to Lake Michigan

Feathered Birds perching on boardwalk
David and I biked down to the lakeshore and I will be forever grateful for that man at the pier for telling us about the rock houses. David and I would have never known they existed and yet they are so famous and made the city of Charlevoix even more famous in the entire world. Many times these homes have been featured in magazine articles. The houses have been dubbed "mushroom houses" because of their distinct shape and color. The architect, Earl Andrew Young had a motto: "There is no use paying rent---when you can buy a home at the prices I have places for sale for". Boy, I wish I would have been here to buy my house!! And so did many other people. We took several pictures of some of his houses along Lake Michigan's shoreline and one in particular, the Boulder House. It was for sale for $ 1.99 million! An entire bus tour stopped by while we were there and got out to look at it and wander amongst the houses. I walked all around the yard, and when I touched the stones, I started to well-up, it was so beautiful!  It had a little playhouse that I am sure my Granddaughter Evly would love to play in.That man had a vision of building unique homes using the local stones that washed up ashore Lake Michigan.

The Sucher House

Boulder Manor - front view

Gate view to cottage

Boulder House - Dagmar's dream backyard!!



Boulder House - side view

Boulder House - children's playhouse

Boulder House - entrance

Boulder House - side view
Posted by Picasa

No comments: